The below wiki article is based on user submitted content.
Please verify all hyperlinks and terminal commands below!
Dumping Extra Data from a 3DS Console
How to Transfer 3DS Extra Data to Citra
In addition to save data, some games and system applications use extra data. Game extra data is stored on the SD card and can be extracted and used by Citra.
threeSD is a tool written to help import data from your 3DS for Citra more conveniently. It is currently in early development, so problems may occur. Should that happen, report them in our Discord server. Then, you can use an alternate way to dump your files such as Checkpoint.
Refer to threeSD Quickstart Guide for importing your installed titles, updates, DLCs, save data, extra data, system files, etc. Note that you’ll still need a hacked 3DS with GodMode9 to obtain your keys so that threeSD can decrypt the data on your SD card.
As the supported way of transferring extra data, Checkpoint is easy to install and use.
- A 3DS with boot9strap installed
- SD card reader (preferred), or a way to use wireless file transfer
- Download Checkpoint from the link above.
- For cia installation, transfer the cia file to the SD card and install it with a cia installer such as FBI. For Rosalina-based Homebrew Launcher, transfer the 3dsx file to
/3ds/on the SD card. Hax-based Homebrew Launchers are not supported by Checkpoint.
Transferring Extra Data
- Open Checkpoint. If this is the first time launching Checkpoint, it may take a considerably longer than usual depending on the amount of installed titles.
- Highlight the game you want to dump by navigating to it with the D-pad and pressing X.
- Press A and select
Backupon the bottom screen. You will be prompted
Yesby pressing A.
- You will have the option to name the save folder. Name it whatever you want or use the name given to it. Press
OKon the bottom screen.
- The top screen will flash a message
Success! Progress correctly saved to disk. Exit out of Checkpoint.
- Transfer all files located in
/3ds/Checkpoint/extdata/[Game Name]/[Folder created in Step 4]to the computer.
- Place the files in Citra’s emulated SD card’s extra data directory. You can open the extra data directory by right-clicking on a game in Citra and clicking "Open Extra Data Directory", and you should put the files inside the
userfolder. These directories may have to be created if the title the extra data was dumped from hasn’t been played in Citra yet**.
Example diagram showing the correct location of Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars extra data in Citra’s User Directory.
"User Directory" └── sdmc └── Nintendo 3DS └── 00000000000000000000000000000000 └── 00000000000000000000000000000000 └── extdata └── 00000000 └── 000012C8 └── user